jueves, 11 de julio de 2013

Homesick and more

Today is the last day with my first home stay family.  The rest of my group went to do our first service project in La Carpio today.  Unfortunately I was sick and unable to go.  At the start of the day, I just thought it was a mild stomach problem and that if I got a little more sleep I would be ok enough to go into school for my afternoon classes.  Unfortunately this was not the case.  As the day went on I felt worse and worse.  I ended up having to go to the clinic.  Justin came with me to translate and if I had felt lost and confused in my home stay house, this was on an entirely different level.  Being in a situation not only where I feel miserable and can barely stay standing without passing out is hard enough to go through even if I have my family there.  But this time, I couldn’t have my mother there to take care of me, and I couldn’t understand any of what was being said in the Doctor’s office.  It is scary to have someone doing an exam of you when you are feeling so miserable and not understanding anything that is being said to you.  This situation just showed me even more so how my students would feel.  For me, being in a home stay was scary, but with the age my students will be it will be all the more scary for them.  I feel like being at this doctor’s office and not understanding what was being said to me gave me a better appreciation for what my students will go through on a daily basis.  As much as I wished I could have been at La Carpio, I think that I was able to learn from the situation I was put in.  

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario